þ A Paradigm Shift in Test Scoring!
Education and Assessment
Pages on Improvement of Educational Practice
(The Multinomial Project)
James (Jay) C. Powell, Ph.D. and others
Related Research, Mathematics and Computer Science,
· Fixing Education (June, 2009)
Are you concerned with “No Child Left Behind?”
Presentations and Publications, James C. Powell, Ph.D.
Jay Powell and Allan P. Clapp, Robert Morris University,
“Comparing Response Spectrum Analysis Interpretation (RSAI) of test results
with Item Response Theory (
· James C. Powell, “Testing as Feedback; Applying and Interpreting Response Spectrum Analysis and Interpretation (RSAI) ,” Presentation, IADIS-CELDA Conference in Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, October 13, 2008; see http://www.celda-conf.org/
James C. Powell: “Observing
Learning Using All Answers: A Commentary on Test-Scoring Practices,” Presentation
for the 73rd Meeting of the Psychometric Society (IMPS 2008,
Powell, J. C. "Multinomial Analysis and its Applications in
Health Care Education and Research," Second WorldVistA
Education Seminar, RMU,
· Powell VJH, Johnson RS, Davis CT, Turchek JC, Powell JC, “Designing Hands-on Network Instruction Using Virtualization,” Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, Proceedings of CELDA 2008, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, October 2008, eds: Kinshuk DG, Sampson J, Spector M, Isaías P, and Ifenthaler D, pp. 103-112. Available online for IADIS members at http://www.iadis.net/dl/Search_list_open.asp?code=544
· Powell, J. C. and Shklov, N. (1992) Obtaining information about learners’ thinking strategies from wrong answers on multiple-choice tests, The Journal of Educational and Psychological Measurement, 52, 847-865.
regarding Jay Powell’s presentation at the Psychometric Society 54th Annual Meeting
Powell, J. C. and Miki, H. (1985) Answer anomalies, how serious?
Paper presented to the Psychometric
Society 50th Anniversary Meeting,
regarding Jay Powell’s and Norm Shklov’s
presentation at the Joint meeting of the Classification
Society and the Psychometric Society
Powell, J. C. (1977) The developmental
sequence of cognition as revealed by wrong answers,
· Powell, J. C. (1968) The interpretation of wrong answers from a multiple-choice test, Educational and Psychological Measurement 28, 403 – 412.
About Dr. Norm Shklov, Honorary Member of the Statistical Society of Canada (Société Statistique du Canada) and Founding Member of the Windsor University Retirees Association, see http://math.usask.ca/aboutmath/details.html and http://www.ssc.ca/documents/SSCarticle14(1).pdf and http://www.ssc.ca/main/about/awards_e.html
BETE Unit in computation: Beginning State, Elapsed Time, End State.
Dr. Jay C. Powell, retired from the Faculty of Education at the
For e-mail contact, please write to powellj at rmu dot edu .
For postal mail contact, please write to Dr. Jay C. Powell, P.O. Box 12833, Pittsburgh, PA 15241
Watch this page!
Updated March 2, 2013